Skip to main content

Vegan resources

I've compiled for myself some vegan resources that I hope will be helpful to me as I embark on my vegan voyage tomorrow.
I tried to find a printable, pocket-sized list of animal ingredients that I may not be aware of when looking at ingredient lists. From PETA, I found a list with explanations and alternatives and then condensed the ingredients down, removing the additional information. Here is the list (You can copy and past into a word document, change font to 8-pt. Arial, make the page landscape and all margins .9 and it should all fit onto one page that you can print and fold up into a wallet.):

Adrenaline.
Alanine.
Albumen.
Albumin.
Alcloxa.
Aldioxa.
Aliphatic Alcohol.
Allantoin.
Alligator Skin.
Alpha-Hydroxy Acids.
Ambergris.
Amino Acids.
Aminosuccinate Acid.
Angora.
Animal Fats and Oils.
Animal Hair.
Arachidonic Acid.
Arachidyl Proprionate.
Aspartic Acid. Aminosuccinate Acid.
Bee Pollen.
Bee Products.
Beeswax. Honeycomb.
Benzoic Acid.
Beta Carotene.
Biotin. Vitamin H. Vitamin B Factor.
Blood.
Boar Bristles.
Bone Char.
Bone Meal.
Calciferol.
Calfskin.
Caprylamine Oxide.
Capryl Betaine.
Caprylic Acid.
Caprylic Triglyceride.
Carbamide.
Carmine. Cochineal. Carminic Acid.
Carminic Acid.
Carotene. Provitamin A. Beta Carotene.
Casein. Caseinate. Sodium Caseinate.
Caseinate.
Cashmere.
Castor. Castoreum.
Castoreum.
Catgut.
Cera Flava.
Cerebrosides.
Cetyl Alcohol.
Cetyl Palmitate.
Chitosan.
Cholesterin.
Cholesterol.
Choline Bitartrate.
Civet.
Cochineal.
Cod Liver Oil.
Collagen.
Colors. Dyes.
Corticosteroid.
Cortisone. Corticosteroid.
Cysteine, L-Form.
Cystine.
Dexpanthenol.
Diglycerides.
Dimethyl Stearamine.
Down.
Duodenum Substances.
Dyes.
Egg Protein.
Elastin.
Emu Oil.
Ergocalciferol.
Ergosterol.
Estradiol.
Estrogen. Estradiol.
Fats.
Fatty Acids.
FD&C Colors.
Feathers.
Fish Liver Oil.
Fish Oil.
Fish Scales.
Fur.
Gel.
Gelatin. Gel.
Glucose Tyrosinase.
Glycerides.
Glycerin. Glycerol.
Glycerol.
Glyceryls.
Glycreth-26.
Guanine. Pearl Essence.
Hide Glue.
Honey.
Honeycomb.
Horsehair.
Hyaluronic Acid.
Hydrocortisone.
Hydrolyzed Animal Protein.
Imidazolidinyl Urea.
Insulin.
Isinglass.
Isopropyl Lanolate.
Isopropyl Myristate.
Isopropyl Palmitate.
Keratin.
Lactic Acid.
Lactose.
Laneth.
Lanogene.
Lanolin. Lanolin Acids. Wool Fat. Wool Wax.
Lanolin Alcohol.
Lanosterols.
Lard.
Leather. Suede. Calfskin. Sheepskin. Alligator Skin. Other Types of Skin.
Lecithin. Choline Bitartrate.
Linoleic Acid.
Lipase.
Lipids.
Lipoids. Lipids.
Marine Oil.
Methionine.
Milk Protein.
Mink Oil.
Monoglycerides. Glycerides. (See Glycerin.)
Musk (Oil).
Myristal Ether Sulfate.
Myristic Acid.
Myristyls.
"Natural Sources."
Nucleic Acids.
Ocenol.
Octyl Dodecanol.
Oleic Acid.
Oils.
Oleths.
Oleyl Alcohol. Ocenol.
Oleyl Arachidate.
Oleyl Imidazoline.
Oleyl Myristate.
Oleyl Oleate.
Oleyl Stearate.
Palmitamide.
Palmitamine.
Palmitate.
Palmitic Acid.
Panthenol. Dexpanthenol. Vitamin B-Complex Factor. Provitamin B-5.
Panthenyl.
Pepsin.
Placenta. Placenta Polypeptides Protein. Afterbirth.
Polyglycerol.
Polypeptides.
Polysorbates.
Pristane.
Progesterone.
Propolis.
Provitamin A.
Provitamin B-5.
Provitamin D-2.
Rennet. Rennin.
Rennin.
Resinous Glaze.
Ribonucleic Acid.
RNA. Ribonucleic Acid.
Royal Jelly.
Sable Brushes.
Sea Turtle Oil.
Shark Liver Oil.
Sheepskin.
Shellac. Resinous Glaze.
Silk. Silk Powder.
Snails.
Sodium Caseinate.
Sodium Steroyl Lactylate.
Sodium Tallowate.
Spermaceti. Cetyl Palmitate. Sperm Oil.
Sponge (Luna and Sea).
Squalane.
Squalene.
Stearamide.
Stearamine.
Stearamine Oxide.
Stearates.
Stearic Acid.
Stearic Hydrazide.
Stearone.
Stearoxytrimethylsilane.
Stearoyl Lactylic Acid.
Stearyl Acetate.
Stearyl Alcohol. Sterols.
Stearyl Betaine.
Stearyl Caprylate.
Stearyl Citrate.
Stearyldimethyl Amine.
Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate.
Stearyl Heptanoate.
Stearyl Imidazoline.
Stearyl Octanoate.
Stearyl Stearate.
Steroids. Sterols.
Sterols.
Suede.
Tallow. Tallow Fatty Alcohol. Stearic Acid.
Tallow Acid.
Tallow Amide.
Tallow Amine.
Talloweth-6.
Tallow Glycerides.
Tallow Imidazoline.
Triterpene Alcohols.
Turtle Oil. Sea Turtle Oil.
Tyrosine.
Urea. Carbamide.
Uric Acid.
Vitamin A.
Vitamin B-Complex Factor.
Vitamin B Factor.
Vitamin B-12.
Vitamin D. Ergocalciferol. Vitamin D-2. Ergosterol. Provitamin D-2. Calciferol. Vitamin D-3.
Vitamin H.
Wax.
Whey.
Wool.
Wool Fat.
Wool Wax.

I also researched companies that do not test on animals. I'm not going to be that strict for now since I'm just getting started, but I wanted to be more aware and make more conscious decisions. CaringConsumer.com has a page that offers a list of companies that do test on animals as well as a list of those that do not. There's also a function to search by product type. Very user-friendly!

VegCooking.com offers endless possibilities for vegan recipes--all of which look delicious! I can't wait to try them out. When I do, I'll post the recipe with pictures and a review.

I also read here about Chia seeds, a seemingly remarkable food that can be added to just about anything to bring protein to the meal. I can't wait to try them out!I will be sure to update my blog with how I'm doing as a vegan. Today is my last day as a non-vegan, so I'm calling it my "Fat Friday." Earlier, I ate my last In-N-Out burger and later today I'm going to have a bite of corn dog at the fair. M&Ms, a churro, and whatever other non-vegan foods that look appetizing tonight are also on my list before I begin my journey tomorrow morning.

Do you have any tips or suggestions for me? I'd love to hear what your favorite vegan foods and recipes are. Or if you have any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it!

Green Gal

---

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

--Mark Twain

Comments

  1. I love the image of the ship and I wish you a Bon Voyage as you embark on this new adventure into vegan land. It will no doubt be challenging!

    Thanks for always providing us with thoughtful posts.

    Bulletin to cows and chickens: You're one person safer as Green Gal pursues nuts and other proteins on her voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to living vicariously through you in your journey! While my addiction to sushi has prevented veganism, I do incorporate as much as I can and have a few suggestions if you're not already doing this :)

    * Soy Creamer works as a great substitute for half and half. I even use it as the dairy in my truffles (but I don't tell most folks as the word 'vegan' is a little scary for some)

    * Earth Balance Butter - yum.

    * Whole Foods' line of vitamins are vegetarian - little did I know there were animal byproducts in vitamins!

    Have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestions! I've been allergic to dairy my entire life, so the transition in terms of creamer won't be an issue--but that's a great tip for anyone else who reads this.

    The same is true with Earth Balance--our family uses it on everything since we can't have butter. It's delicious!

    And I will definitely check out the Whole Foods vitamins!

    Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!