Skip to main content

Setting goals

The past few days, I've been thinking about what my goals are for greening my lifestyle. I scrolled through countless posts on The Simple, Green, Frugal Co-op blog, found awesome recipes for making my own soap and deodorant, and learned that you don't really need shampoo. And I've compiled a list of things that I'd like to try out in the coming month.
Here is what I've come up with. Please feel free to figure out what works for you from my list and apply it to your life. It always feels rejuvenating to make goals and stick with them.

Around the house:
- Change my light bulbs to CFL/LED
- Hang more laundry to dry outside since the weather has been so warm
- Attempt making my own deodorant, soap, lip balm, and cleaning products
- Go no 'poo--shampoo that is
- Boycott paper towels and use old rags instead--and remind my mom and sister to do so, as well
- Finally get a bucket to put under the faucet for the shower water while it heats up
- Turn the TV off more often and read or go outside
Food/groceries:
-
For once, actually go to the Farmer's Market with a plan to buy all the veggies and fruits we'll need for the week--and become more familiar with what's offered and from which farms
- Stop buying and eating processed foods
- Make some reusable bags for produce
-
No more coffee--I just don't need it and it's bad for my adrenal glands. I'm currently going to limit it to one cup of coffee a month. It better be a rich, shade-grown, organic cup o' joe when I do drink it, though! :)
- Reduce eating out due to unknown food sources, too many straws wasted when they put them in your drink without asking, and a general desire to begin making my own meals more often
- Completely eliminate individually-bottled drinks to reduce waste, and no more soda at all (chemicals cannot be good fuel!)
- Avoid artifical/natural flavors or artificial colors so I eat more whole, real foods
In general:
-
Choose days to spend no money at all
- Use the car less--or at least be entirely conscious each time I get in the car and think if I could possibly ride my bike or walk to where I'm going, or if there's anything else I can get while I'm out so we aren't making multiple trips
- Stop buying books--although I rarely buy them new, I need to read the ones I already have that I haven't yet read

And for the big, life-changing goal: Become vegan.

I'm allergic to milk, dislike eggs, and I've already limited my intake of chicken and eliminated beef from my diet. But I want to take the next step and actually consciously say no to any animal products. My only exception will be the occasional fish because I want to be able to eat fish I catch when camping. Perhaps eventually I'll say no to fish as well, but for now I'm going to make that my only exception.

So, due to this, I will be definitely increasing my intake of fruit and veggies, nuts, beans, and rice. There's a whole world of plant food out there that I haven't ever tried, and I want to explore those options to find something I enjoy.

Wish me luck--I'm hoping to begin the vegan diet in the coming days.


What are your green goals?

Green Gal

---

The world, we are told, was made especially for man--a presumption not supported by all the facts... Why should man value himself as more than a small part of the one great unit of creation?

-- John Muir

Comments

  1. I just love the quotes you find!

    Your goals are fabulous. They will not only be healthier options for you ... they'll be healthier for the earth, as well.

    Some years back, my husband wanted to go vegetarian. I wasn't sure about it but ... I can do anything for 30 days so ... I committed to going vegan for a month. I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person so, that night, I went through the whole kitchen and gathered up every single thing that contained an animal product and gave it away. I have never turned back. I love being vegan and have never once missed animal products. Our health is better and it seems that there are so many more options for meals ... sound weird, I know, but when one eats meat, there are only so many things to do with it. Veggies are so versatile. I know you'll do well!

    Wonderful post ... very inspiring. And thanks for the badge in your sidebar!! :)

    Small Footprints
    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent! would love to hear more on your thoughts about the shampoo as that's one of those 'last frontiers' for me...

    great honest blog, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops forgot to mention...don't stop reading! just buy used! might as well take advantage of what others have read... not sure where you are but i am blessed in portland to have powell's where sooner or later, every book is available used :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!

    And just a clarification--I never stop reading! What I meant was I have literally 30 books that I've never read that I bought at some point. I need to get through those before I buy any more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post and very well written.I quite agree with with the point of view. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!