Skip to main content

How things are going

It's been almost a week since I first washed my hair with just water--no shampoo. And it's looking great! Before I went no shampoo, I used LUSH shampoo, and I never style it with fancy chemical product, so it's been pretty natural for awhile now. I usually only wash it two or three times a week, so the transition shouldn't be too difficult.So far I've washed it twice with just water and it's as thick and lovely as before. My hair doesn't get oily very easily, so fortunately, it's only a little bit oily near the top of my head, but not noticeably so. Now I'm saving materials (and money!) and reducing the amount of chemicals that go down the drain--all while becoming more natural and less reliant on chemicals and industry. I'm trying to convince my mom to try it, but she's used to shampoo and using styling products and making her hair look nice, so it would take a lot to convince her.

I tested out Melinda's deodorant recipe of baking soda and cornstarch yesterday. It worked as far as I could tell. I have yet to find a cute jar to put it in, so it's residing in a small Tupperware container for the time being. (I'm using Arm & Hammer baking soda and I realize they test on animals...we already bought it and I wasn't going to waste it, so I'm using it for now.) Once I've used it for a week or so I'll post an update as to whether or not it really works sufficiently enough to replace commercial deodorant (or my usual Tom's of Maine unscented, which I recommend if you're looking for a good vegan deodorant).Yesterday was my first day being vegan, and so far so good. I found this awesome vegan lip balm at Whole Foods--The Merry Hempsters Vegan SPF 18 Peppermint Hemp Balm. It makes your lips feel minty fresh! It's even better than Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm--which I accidentally put on yesterday morning without thinking.
I realized that the lip balm recipe I'd been hoping to attempt uses lanolin which comes from sheep wool, so I won't be able to use that recipe. If you know of a do-it-yourself vegan lip balm recipe, please let me know!

We went to the farmer's market yesterday and stocked up on local, organic veggies and fruits. I saw one of my vegan friends at a stand and spoke with her and bought some nectarines from her. For dinner my grandma cooked some zucchini, squash and red onion and rice with peas. She also had mint + pea puree that she had made the night before that my cousin Allison had told her about. For dessert we had tart raspberries and blackberries--not organic, but the boy at the stand gave them to us free!

Then this afternoon, we went by High Tech Burrito--a delicious burrito place that has tons of vegan options. I got a burrito with black beans, lettuce, Spanish rice, salsa, guacamole, and pico de gallo. Yummy!---

"I believe that every man who has ever been earnest to preserve his higher or poetic faculties in the best condition has been particularly inclined to abstain from animal food..."

-- Henry David Thoreau, Higher Laws - Walden

Comments