Skip to main content

The Tale of 2 Peter Rabbit Bedrooms

"'Now my dears,' said old Mrs. Rabbit one morning, 'you may go into the fields or down the lane, but don't go into Mr. McGregor's garden...'" - The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter, first published in 1902.

When I was growing up, I had drawings from Beatrix Potter scenes hanging in my bedroom. I also had a giant illustrated book of Beatrix Potter stories. And in my dad's potting shed there hung a framed sketch from The Tale of Peter Rabbit. My dad drew all of the drawings--and he built the potting shed himself.

In February 2018, I posted about one of the drawings on Instagram, writing "One day I hope to have children and hang it framed on their wall." This hope has come true, and that drawing and the one from the potting shed have adorned my son's nursery walls since before he was born.

As you can see if you scroll through the photos below, Liam's entire nursery theme emerged from those 2 drawings, made more than 20 years ago by Liam's Papa, my dad. The baby shower that my mom, her friend, and my sister hosted last February was also Peter Rabbit themed.

As a gardener who studied literature in college and given these connections to my childhood, it's no surprise that this is the nursery theme I selected. I had fun searching for Beatrix Potter and Peter Rabbit decor, and family members have helped by gifting us things they found, too. We have even more Peter Rabbit objects than are shown in these photos, including a ceramic night light (since put away to protect it from our curious boy), a crinkle book and board book, and more. I got really into the theme, as you can tell!

If it's been awhile since you last read any Beatrix Potter--or if you've never had the pleasure--Project Gutenberg has the collection of illustrated stories available online for free here.




(Yes, that's a Peter Rabbit cloth diaper!)










Thanks for reading and Happy February!

Green Gal

Comments