Skip to main content

Sowing seeds is an act of hope & intention

Sowing seeds is an act of hope & intention. In these uncertain times, planting seeds invites joy, wonder, & anticipation. There's still uncertainty, but with care & attention, we can cultivate new life. And if we're lucky, we get homegrown tomatoes!


Yesterday, the 2021 growing season officially began here! I sowed my 1st round of seeds to start indoors by our sunny sliding glass door. I also finished most of my crop plan for 2021.

Our growing season in Reno is short & hot. According to UNR Cooperative Extension, Reno has 90-120 frost-free days. The average last frost day is May 15, & the average 1st frost day is September 15--although this doesn't account for our specific microclimate. Since it's only our 2nd year in this house, I am just starting to collect data about our seasonal growing patterns so I can plan better in years to come.

I enjoy crop planning--it combines my love for planning & organizing with my passion for growing food. For those who are new to crop planning or who like to geek out on it, I posted a series of story updates about my crop planning this year versus when I was managing my market garden in the Santa Cruz Mountains in 2018. I also posted about my indoor seedling setup & process for sowing seeds, which I learned at the UCSC Farm & Gardens. Find the series of updates in my "Crop Plan" story highlight on Instagram.

My crop plan this year is simple, written on graph paper, & subject to change--as all crop plans must be since we can't control the weather!


My crop plan in 2018 was complex, full of calculations to meet my production goals, & created in Excel. It was also subject to change but keeping up with it was key so I could produce enough food for the families in my small CSA program. I also learned this method at the UCSC Farm & Gardens and, in my "Crop Plan" story highlight on Instagram, I share online resources to approach crop planning in this more goal-oriented & detailed way. It's an excellent approach if you're planning to grow the majority of your family's food, or if you have production goals through a market garden or farm.

Whether you crop plan or not, what are you growing in 2021?


Comments