Skip to main content

Look What Arrived in the Mail!

My life has been pretty bike-centric lately, with numerous bike rides around and down and up to campus each day/week and the biggest bummers in my day-to-day life being bike lights that don't work when you need them. I've been reading countless articles about transportation and bikes, and I'm working on a longer blog post about my transportation history that is proving more difficult to articulate clearly than I originally thought. Transportation is a complex topic, far more complex than you might think.

In my stumblings through millions of open web browser tabs of bike articles and blogs, I came across a book titled Bikenomics by Elly Blue. It was posted on a blog called Taking the Lane, which I have since spent some time reading and have greatly enjoyed. Many of the larger issues like civil rights and women's rights that have been floating around in my mind lately as I bike and find obstacles to feeling safe on my bike are presented in clear, poignant ways on this blog. More writings about my thoughts on these topics to come.

So I saw the book title, read the description, and decided to purchase the book. I forgot I'd purchased it until I opened my little PO box in the mailroom just now and a little package was there with my name on it! When I opened it up, I was surprised to also find a couple stickers and a unique bike postcard alongside the beautiful book:

I can't wait to start reading! I'll certainly post an update on what I learn from the book as I get into it.

Here's the description of the book from the blog where I found and purchased it:
"Bikenomics provides a surprising and compelling new perspective on the way we get around and on how we spend our money, as families and as a society. The book starts with a look at the real transportation costs of families and individuals, and moves on to examine the current civic costs of our transportation system. The book tells the stories of people, businesses, organizations, and cities who are investing in two-wheeled transportation. The multifaceted North American bicycle movement is revealed, with its contradictions, challenges, successes, and visions."

Doesn't that sound like a great and important read? Happy Cycling, my friends!
 


Comments