Skip to main content

Being prepared--mugs and bags

One of the most annoying things I've found about reducing my consumption of resources is forgetting my travel mug or reusable grocery/shopping bag and having to use up another cup or bag at the store.The reusable grocery bag issue has been addressed all over the internet: leave the bags in the car. Reinforcement is key to remembering this, though. When you're finished unloading the groceries, go right back to your car and stick them into the little flap on the back of the front seats. Do it every time, or else you'll forget them, guaranteed.
Another awesome way to remember the bag is to buy one of those foldable bags that closes in on itself into a little ball. They fit easily into purses, backpacks, glove compartments and some have little clips so you can attach it to the outside of bags (or key rings if you wish!). The two my mom owns are from Whole Foods, but more and more stores are selling them. I got mine at a hair salon!I've never seen the mug issue addressed before, but I've come up with the obvious solution: leave one in the car, along with those bags. Put it somewhere hidden so you won't accidentally take it inside the house when cleaning out the car. (I've made that mistake in my mom's car and she's taken it in without realizing I left it there on purpose!) Leave one in the glove compartment or center console compartment if you have room, or stash it in the trunk or in that little hiding place some cars have in the way back that shuts. You could even stash two or three just to be safe--if you're with friends they can use one, too :)

Again, remember to replace it once you've used it. Pretend like you don't already have one in the car so you won't be tempted to use it every time and increase the risk of leaving it at home. If you have a big purse (or a small mug), you could bring one in your purse (or backpack), too. And if you ride a bike everywhere, definitely leave one in your bag or saddle bag/basket if you have one on your bike. Suggestion: bring one every time you go somewhere--you never know when you'll find yourself in a coffee shop. I try to leave a mug in my school backpack at all times. I often decide spur-of-the-moment to stop by Starbucks on my bike ride home.

And one final note: don't forget that your reusable shopping bags can be used at the thrift store, mall, boutiques, etc. Some stores sell larger ones that work better than the normal sized ones--I have one from Bloomingdales that my step-mom gave me and another that I bought when I saw Cirque du Soleil.

Happy Sunday, everyone!
Green Gal

---

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

-- e.e. cummings

Comments

  1. great reminder for everyone....i'd also add, every grocery store sells reusable bags so in a bind you can also spend the 99 cents and buy one - i use these bags not just for all kinds of shopping, but the ones made out of recycled plastic are great for the garage, to use as household recycling bags, etc. And hey I'm sure we all know someone we can gift our extras to :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are a honey bee born on Earth Day! You're so passionate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!