Skip to main content

Simplify to Amplify

When we prune a fruit tree, we simplify the branches in order to amplify the available sunlight to those remaining. Removing branches also directs the tree's energy to the remaining buds so that the tree can grow bigger and stronger and produce larger and healthier fruit. 

We simplify to amplify.

Lately, I've been reflecting on how this principle applies to many aspects of my life. It can be satisfying to simplify, such as when you de-clutter your home and finally donate all of the things you no longer need or want. What remains are the items you truly value, and you can better appreciate and use them because they are no longer buried by all the extra "stuff." 

Perhaps this feeling is familiar to you if you went through this process within the past year during the pandemic. Spending so much time inside our homes has helped some of us recognize how much "stuff" has accumulated that we don't need anymore. Hopefully we also learn to reduce how much stuff we bring into our homes so that we don't need to de-clutter as often.

Here are some other ways I see this principle working well in my life:

Following intentionally on social media

I recently unfollowed more than 200 accounts on Instagram and Facebook in an effort to amplify the posts of those that I really want to hear from. As I've been spending less time on social media lately (thanks to the Screen Time settings on my phone!), I want to be sure the content I see when I am logged in adds value to my life. Unfollowing those accounts has helped me listen more to the people I'm still following. 

In addition, I'm being more intentional about the new pages I follow, seeking out folks whose posts not only add beauty to my feed but also educate me, challenge my assumptions, make me think critically, and help me be a better person. In simplifying the volume of content that the algorithm can show me, I'm amplifying the voices that remain.

Shorter daily to-do lists

Each day and/or each week, I've been identifying 3-4 highest priority action items to focus on and get through before I look back at my long, never-ending to-do lists. I do this for my housekeeping chores, my personal writing projects, and for each of my consulting clients. 

The mountain of tasks on my big to-do lists can feel overwhelming. When I haven't taken the time to prioritize in advance, I often experience analysis paralysis and choose whatever seems easiest in that moment. Often those easy tasks are not the most important or urgent, though. 

It makes a huge difference when I take a few minutes to review my lists, identify the priorities, and then only look at my short list until it's complete. And when a new task comes up, I do a quick analysis of whether it needs to happen urgently, soon, or later, and I place it accordingly on the big list. This helps make my daily and weekly reviews simpler, as well. 

With these easy adjustments to how I plan my days, I've simplified my scope so that I can use my time effectively on the most important priorities first.

Using fewer words

Although I struggle with this one, I know that editing my writing to say what I mean in fewer, more potent words is more effective. Instagram's character limit has helped me stay succinct when posting there, and I've even considered creating a word limit for myself on my blog for this same reason. Simplifying our communication amplifies what we truly mean.

Access to fewer books and toys

I've found that Little L can better engage with his toys and books when there are fewer of them available. I've been rotating his toys every couple of weeks and rotating his books weekly, and I keep only a few accessible to him at a time. He can more easily find the toys he wants and plays with them longer when there aren't as many within reach.


These are just a few of the many ways I see this principle showing up in my life. When we simplify--reduce the clutter, the noise, the superfluous--we can better see, hear, enjoy, and focus on what remains. And in the case of pruning a fruit tree, we let the light shine in and grow bigger, sweeter fruit! 

How do you see this principle working in your own life?

Comments