Skip to main content

Rocko's Modern Life R-E-C-Y-C-L-E and a '90s flashback

I used to watch Rocko's Modern Life on Nickelodeon when I was growing up. Nickelodeon used to have the BEST shows and I've had so many conversations about how the new Nick is lame compared to the Nick of our childhood. KaBlam!, Aaahh! Real Monsters, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, All That, Clarissa Expains It All, Doug, Rug Rats, The Wild Thornberries, The Secret World of Alex Mac... the list goes on. There's even a website dedicated to '90s Nickelodeon.

But here's a video with a song from Rocko's Modern Life that was a hit in my household. We used to sing this song all the time. Somehow, we got the tune a little off over the years, so when I found this video and watched it with my family, we tried to sing it the right way. I still like our version because it's easier :)

I thought it was interesting that the focus of this song is the ozone layer, which I recall being the big environmental issue growing up. In elementary school science classes, we learned about ozone depletion (we still do), but now the major focus is global warming. If this song were made today, no doubt its focus would be greenhouse gases and a heating planet.

Captain Compost Heap is nasty looking in this video. If I didn't know what compost looked like, I'd be a little grossed out at the mention of compost if this is the only visual I had of it. Hmm... Well at least the once-popular TV show spotlighted environmental issues in an episode! :)

Take a look...

Comments