Welcome!

Green Gal Home

Stories and green tips related to nature, adventure, placemaking, and food systems, written by a beginning farmer/gardener and seasoned sustainability educator who loves to grow, cook, ferment, and eat local and ecologically happy food.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Miwok Picture Language Book

In December, my friend Alexys and I spent some time at my family's cabin in the mountains. She taught me some Miwok words and I created a picture book that incorporates the words so I can better learn some of the language. Since then, I've learned some more words and have written many new words from various California tribes (Maidu, Konkow, Nisenan, etc.) in a language and culture journal I'm keeping. Here are the pages that I made in December. I hope to make more soon.

watu: sun, lama: tree, oha: woman, nanga: man, kiky: water, lapisay: fish, ohnem: to fish, haju: dog






nowehkowai: I love you, ohnem: to fish, nawa: love


Alexys drew this one. honon: bear, funawa: laughter


Learn how to count in Miwok using this picture.


If I make more, I will post them.
Thanks for reading! Happy Monday.

Green Gal

1 comment:

I love reading comments and am always up for a discussion! Thank you!

Popular Posts