Skip to main content

Garden and worm bin update

 Awhile back, I planted some tomato and cilantro seeds in the same container.
They've grown a bit since planting, and today was the day to transplant them into separate containers. The cilantro are most valuable to me since it's a little past tomato season anyway, so I transplanted the two tomato plants to new containers and left the cilantro in this one. Even if the tomato plants die from being transplanted, at least my cilantro will (hopefully) survive and thrive.
I also decided to incorporate a small handful of worm compost into the tomato plants' new homes. I searched through the worm bin for small bits of worm-free, decomposing food-free worm compost. I added a small amount to each new tomato plant container and mixed it together with potting soil.
I was careful in transplanting so that the roots of each tomato plant were only exposed for a couple seconds. Hopefully they survive this change. I have kept all three plants on the windowsill inside the house, and I'll monitor them to make sure they are doing okay in the next few days.
 
In other news, the tomato plant my dad and step-mom gave me has begun producing tomatoes!
The sunflowers are getting really tall.
Some unidentified seeds from something I put in my worm bin have sprouted into these yellow-headed sprouts.
This bell pepper is dong beautifully!
The unknown bulb I described previously has sprouted up ALL OVER the place! I am still not sure what it is, but it's pervasive on the left side of my garden.
More mystery bulb sprouts.
The green onions in the window sill continue to produce at a consistent rate. Each time we've previously bought green onions and cut them up, I put the root end into the water jar. We have a never-ending supply of green onions!

Thanks for reading! 
Green Gal

Comments

  1. The mystery bulb looks familiar to me, but I just can't place what it is. You could take a snapshot of it and show it to a gardening shop in your area. Keep us posted on how the transplants go. In my experience, sometimes they go well, and other times the little plants just fizzle. I don't think exposure to the air is a problem, but I try to transplant with soil around the roots if possible. For such a small container, maybe you could try using a spoon next time and scoop underneath the roots and all. But I have also seen a type of powder that you can dip roots into to give them an extra boost when transplanting, available from gardening stores, So it's not essential to keep soil around the roots. Our little tomato plant is producing tiny tomato buds. Your plant seems to be healthier and thriving more than ours. Have fun gardening!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!