The past few days, I've been thinking about what my goals are for greening my lifestyle. I scrolled through countless posts on The Simple, Green, Frugal Co-op blog, found awesome recipes for making my own soap and deodorant, and learned that you don't really need shampoo. And I've compiled a list of things that I'd like to try out in the coming month.
Here is what I've come up with. Please feel free to figure out what works for you from my list and apply it to your life. It always feels rejuvenating to make goals and stick with them.
Around the house:
- Change my light bulbs to CFL/LED
- Hang more laundry to dry outside since the weather has been so warm
- Attempt making my own deodorant, soap, lip balm, and cleaning products
- Go no 'poo--shampoo that is
- Boycott paper towels and use old rags instead--and remind my mom and sister to do so, as well
- Finally get a bucket to put under the faucet for the shower water while it heats up
- Turn the TV off more often and read or go outside
- For once, actually go to the Farmer's Market with a plan to buy all the veggies and fruits we'll need for the week--and become more familiar with what's offered and from which farms
- Stop buying and eating processed foods
- Make some reusable bags for produce
- No more coffee--I just don't need it and it's bad for my adrenal glands. I'm currently going to limit it to one cup of coffee a month. It better be a rich, shade-grown, organic cup o' joe when I do drink it, though! :)
- Reduce eating out due to unknown food sources, too many straws wasted when they put them in your drink without asking, and a general desire to begin making my own meals more often
- Completely eliminate individually-bottled drinks to reduce waste, and no more soda at all (chemicals cannot be good fuel!)
- Avoid artifical/natural flavors or artificial colors so I eat more whole, real foods
- Choose days to spend no money at all
- Use the car less--or at least be entirely conscious each time I get in the car and think if I could possibly ride my bike or walk to where I'm going, or if there's anything else I can get while I'm out so we aren't making multiple trips
- Stop buying books--although I rarely buy them new, I need to read the ones I already have that I haven't yet read
And for the big, life-changing goal: Become vegan.
I'm allergic to milk, dislike eggs, and I've already limited my intake of chicken and eliminated beef from my diet. But I want to take the next step and actually consciously say no to any animal products. My only exception will be the occasional fish because I want to be able to eat fish I catch when camping. Perhaps eventually I'll say no to fish as well, but for now I'm going to make that my only exception.
So, due to this, I will be definitely increasing my intake of fruit and veggies, nuts, beans, and rice. There's a whole world of plant food out there that I haven't ever tried, and I want to explore those options to find something I enjoy.
Wish me luck--I'm hoping to begin the vegan diet in the coming days.
What are your green goals?
The world, we are told, was made especially for man--a presumption not supported by all the facts... Why should man value himself as more than a small part of the one great unit of creation?
-- John Muir
Welcome to Green Gal's blog, where you'll find stories, recipes, gardening updates, and green tips related to nature, adventure, placemaking, and food systems. This blog is written by a young woman entrepreneur who is also a beginning farmer-gardener and seasoned sustainability educator who loves to grow, cook, ferment, and eat local and ecologically happy food.
Yesterday afternoon, I led a workshop about sourdough bread at the UC Santa Cruz Farm & Garden's Annual Harvest Festival. (Fun fact:...
I always forget that I know how to draw and that I actually enjoy it. When I was little I drew like crazy, but as I got older I drew less an...
If you've ever been to Yosemite, you've probably been to the recreation Miwok village. You've probably seen the displays about a...
Happy Giving Tuesday! If you haven't already, I invite you to please support an important cause led by four of my dear friends from the ...